Download and Print Coaches Code of Ethics Final update Aug 22 2018
Coaches Code of Ethics
The function of a coach is to educate, develop, and harness individual player skills in all aspects of the sport. Physical, mental and social skill development both as individuals and in a team environment will be placed in the highest respect. A basketball team within the parameters of the Pictou County Basketball Association will promote these developments in a positive, unbiased and inclusive environment without prejudice. Each player should be treated with the utmost respect, and his or her welfare should be considered in decisions by the coach at all times. Accordingly, the following guidelines for coaches have been adopted by the PCBA Board of Directors.
- The coach shall be aware that he or she has a tremendous influence, for either good or ill, on the wellbeing of the player and, thus, shall never place the value of winning above the value of instilling the highest ideals of character.
- The coach shall uphold the honor and dignity of the profession. In all personal contact with players, officials, coaches, parents, spectators, the media, and the public, the coach shall strive to set an example of the highest ethical and moral conduct.
- The coach shall take an active role in the prevention of drug, alcohol and tobacco abuse.
- The coach shall avoid the use of drugs, alcohol and tobacco products when in contact with players.
- The coach shall promote Pictou County Basketball Association and direct his or her program in harmony with the total program.
- The coach shall master the contest rules and shall teach them to his or her team members. The coach shall not seek an advantage by circumvention of the spirit or letter of the rules.
- The coach shall exert his or her influence to enhance sportsmanship by spectators, both directly and by working closely with parents, event organizers and officials of the association.
- The coach shall respect and support contest officials. The coach shall not indulge in conduct which would incite players or spectators against the officials. Public criticism of officials or players is unethical.
- The coach should meet and exchange cordial greetings with the opposing coach to set the correct tone for the event before and after the contest.
- The coach shall not scout players by any means, but adhere to the team selection process put in place by the association.
- The coach shall adhere to any and all rules and regulations set forth by Basketball Nova Scotia in the respect of competition under Basketball Nova Scotia.
- The coach shall adhere to all policies set out by the PCBA. Also respect and adhere to the Fundraising policy and treat the Team funds and fundraising with complete transparency and ethics.
I ___________________________ on this day____________ have read and understand the above code of conduct in its entirety. I agree to adhere to and support the guidelines of the Coaches Code of Conduct set forth by the governing body of Pictou County Basketball Association. I understand that if I do not comply to any or some of the aforementioned guidelines I am subject to progressive forms of discipline, up to and including the termination of my involvement with the Pictou County Basketball Association.